Miguel's Practice Writing Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Issue with Teaching English - 9th Entry

Being an native English speaker, I know it's important and valuable to become proficient in the English language. It is a necessity and an obligation for all of us. We need it in order to succeed in work, life and all areas of life.
We would be in difficult circumstances if we can't speak and write in English.

But I do have an issue how English is being taught to Filipinos. It is being taught for academics, not for life. 
Why do I see this as an issue? First, I haven't seen that many Filipinos adapt what they have learned in English to their lives. I know they can do well during class but when they're thrust into the real world, they suddenly forget what they were taught. The change here would be to have students use it even outside of the classroom. English must be used frequently for students to retain the lessons.They only use it as an obligation for school but never something to apply in life. Second, the methods of teaching English isn't dynamic and interesting enough to keep the students engaged. The students cannot learn well if all they do is routines, which is boring. That is why schools should have new ways of teaching English. An example would be to have challenges, such as using English to communicate what they want to say without feeling scared or shy. And lastly, there is no discipline when teaching English. The way English is taught here in the country is not sufficient enough to keep students engaged. Without discipline, it is difficult to make changes in teaching English. That is why teachers must instill discipline to keep students in line.

In short, English must be taught not just for academics, but for life as well. It must not be bound inside the classroom. This is the only way we can enrich the language and keep it for life. 

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, but English isn't the official language of the Philippines, Filipino is. That is the reason English is used in the academic sense only because in life, Filipinos are supposed to speak in Filipino (Tagalog, Bisaya, etc.). In the Philippines, English is for professional use, Filipino is for secular everyday speaking, thus, for normal instruction in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Even my Filipino teacher advocates the Filipino language be used as the official language. But I would like to clarify my opinion here and I didn't add to the post (I won't edit it, don't worry). I'm not saying we switch to English as the official language. I'm saying we should have some practice using English even if you're not in school. Because if you only use it when needed in school, it's sometimes hard to communicate well when you forgot what you were taught.

    Remember Noel, one of our best friends? He's a good example of how English is used. I just found out recently that his mom speaks to him in English. They switch back and forth with English and Filipino. But everyone else in his home speak Filipino. When I hear him speak in English, he speaks well. He doesn't stutter and doesn't get conscious that much. He uses English even if he's not obligated to use it. Plus, I speak to him in English from time to time. So he's one good example for how English can be used beside Filipino.

    But considering the situation of other people, it can't always be used that way. Some don't have an idea of English so they can't teach their children English like Noel and I.

    In short, my only issue is the way English is taught. My teachers in high school have always told me students just can't excel in English. I just see the issue on how it's being taught. There has to be a better way to teach it.

    ReplyDelete